Tuesday, March 16, 2010

On wearing flats for a change

I've been wearing a lot of flats lately.

Just last week, I bought three pairs of ballet shoes: a checkered one, purple crocs and a pair which screamed of bees, flowers and Chanel(they were not designer shoes, though). Each pair cost less than P200, so God knows until when will it last. Prior to that, I also bought chucks and some white flats that can easily go with any laid back outfit of mine.

Why should this matter?

Not that it matters, of course. Just a personal observation brought about by too much self-awareness, if such a thing is possible. Because I have been forever in favor with high heels since Barbie was handed down to me as a child, subtle changes like wearing flats cannot go unnoticed for long.

What do high-heeled shoes indicate anyway? Some believe it to be an invention of man to make the butt look smaller (She's the Man); others herald stilettos to be a modern woman's armor (So Close provides a literal example of this). A colleague told me a short story of a girl who always wore high heels but also always tripped on her feet whenever she sees a certain guy. Knowing this, the guy bought her sneakers which she promised to wear next time they meet. Friends noted then that it was the only time she wore shoes no higher than an inch. The bottom line: the higher the heels, the higher are a woman's pride.

After a few years threading on the rocky path, I guess that makes sense. A new found appreciation for flats and slippers fits the trimmed size of my pride, giving space for some humility in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment