Monday, January 2, 2012

Cross-fingers for the New Year Ahead!

2012 - I don't believe it's going to be the end of the world just yet since news broke that the Mayan calendar may have been miscalculated but then again, just in case...

[Predictions bases on horoscopes are broadcasted all over the tv and the internet it's practically confusing as to who's better in predicting the future...]

My journal entries are quite a few while my poems, essays and travelogues remain to be edited and refined. I've been recording tidbits of my life in my planner but I know I have to write something soon enough other than just what I did - I need to write down my thoughts, feelings and reflections so that they don't just slip away...

I've written my resolutions months earlier while organizing my files (and I'm still taking into account what I've been doing at work for the past two or more years), so all I need to do is look back and edit it to make it a wee bit achievable. But to close a rather turbulent year and welcome a promising year of the dragon (hey, that's my sign!) and to strengthen my vows I have publicly declared in class and privately affirmed by writing, here is a poem that somehow gives me a sense of paglaom (the Bicol word for "hope", but which may be interpreted as "akala" using Rinconada dialect).



The More Loving One 

Looking up at the stars, I know quite well
That, for all they care, I can go to hell,
But on earth indifference is the least
We have to dread from man or beast.
How should we like it were stars to burn
With a passion for us we could not return?
If equal affection cannot be,
Let the more loving one be me.

Admirer as I think I am
Of stars that do not give a damn,
I cannot, now I see them, say
I missed one terribly all day.

Were all stars to disappear or die,
I should learn to look at an empty sky
And feel its total darkness sublime,
Though this might take me a little time.

- W.H. Auden (1957)


Goodbye 2011 madness! Hello there 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment