Wednesday, December 17, 2014

On wheels, on ice

When I learned
how to skate
and ride a bike,
one went fast,
one took time.
In childhood days
I yearned to glide
like the mouse at a show
in the city one night.
I have watched my brothers
swivel through streets,
wishing I could join them
instead of sitting at the backseat.

First, I was taught to ride a bike
in which many tried to teach me.
In any case, I was always falling down.
Both of my legs sustained a lot
of bruises and injuries.
From then on, mother forbade me
to mount another bike.
Thinking I would be safe
and would no longer be scarred.
It wasn’t until later
in a broken down bike,
when I was on my own
poised on top of a slope,
I lifted my feet off the ground.
Counted the seconds
‘til I moved forward
without ever falling down.
It wasn’t long before
I could push the pedals
One by one.

Skating, on the other hand,
was taught seasons after I grew.
This time though, I attempted
to try something new.
I tried to teach myself
based on the books and pictures I knew.
Alas! After two lapses groping
on the sides of the rink,
I finally called in a coach to assist.
Holding my hands, she held me towards
the center of the ring
and taught me to march ahead,
find the balance from within.
When I finally took a stance,
only then did she show me
how gliding was done.
With feet not too far apart,
slide in opposite direction
one by one.

The day I learned how to bike
and glide a little bit gracefully on ice,
years have passed in between.
But both speak of the same need
for balance, for continuity.
Our youth may have called for some self-efficacy
but to grow is to need others in this journey.
How we can be dependent on one another
yet at times need to be alone on our own!

No comments:

Post a Comment