Monday, January 17, 2011

Minalabac Adveture


I love traveling!

Apart from theater arts, fine arts, fashion design, interior design, digital illustration and animation, and long before Psychology was introduced to us in Career Day during my last year in high school, I had also considered taking up Tourism as my course. 

Last year was favorable for the traveler in me. I got the chance to go on an eco-tour in Culion, Palawan, stay in a five-star hotel, immerse in Calabanga with their harvest of watermelons and crabs, visit the people and rice fields of Sagnay and camp in the white shores of Calaguas, Camarines Norte – all courtesy of doing my job and being with equally enthusiastic colleagues.  It doesn’t hurt to have been in Samar, Leyte, Cebu and particularly Bohol where I got my first sight of a white sand beach underneath the full bright moon. (I know, I sound conceited and cheesy in this part, hehe). I hope to visit Mindanao at least before going overboard with dreams of going abroad. There’s still so much to see in the Philippines and the desire to go or even work abroad is not that strong, at least, not yet.  

Taking into account what I have been up to for the last five years, I realized I haven’t done so much of the things I used to really love. Apart from reading fiction and drawing, I hadn’t grabbed the chance to go to other places, despite my love for travelling. I didn’t join the educational trip in sophomore year, couldn’t afford to join the PAPJA convention in third year, and many other mini-trips that I had considered rather costly and would take time that could have been spent on studies, responsibilities and friends. I turned to people instead of just books for a change, surrounded with happy, talented and responsible individuals and thought of others instead of me, myself and I.

Though a certified city girl by heart, visiting municipalities around Camarines Sur can invite one to take a second look on rural life and learn what kind of culture and mindset prevail among its people. Once, for a research paper in Filipino Psychology class regarding the famous parahilots of Magarao, my groupmates and I confirmed the fact that western approaches on data gathering are not appropriate for the local setting. The secrets of their ‘trade’ could not just be asked through structured interviews and questionnaires alone.  We had to avail for a massage that would relieve us from any ailment we were experiencing (though the famous parahilot Ligid in the town merely advised one groupmate to find a man). 

Rains, Roads and Rocks*
The itinerary for this year starts with yesterday’s trip to Minalabac in search for an area to conduct a photography workshop. After asking a couple of strangers which between Barangay Salingogon and Barangay Bagolatao provided less road difficulty and driving through hills and trees, we finally arrived at the pebbled shores of Minalabac. Instead of sand, big and small light-colored stones littered the shoreline, with small waves of water calmly moving towards land. Though the place was not quite as majestic as Caramoan or Culion, one can definitely swim in the waters without worrying about being swept away into the ocean. Plus, the stones made a difference and added to its subtle but unique charm. My boss (an avid photographer, traveler, and mountaineer) couldn’t help but take photographs of the view and the people and we ourselves couldn’t help but be his subjects. It was too bad that the weather couldn’t spare us a bit of light, not to mention the fact I completely forgot to bring my own camera (palm to the forehead!). 


 Shots taken by Fr. Ritche B. Elot using Kuya Sonny's Nikon D3100., Title Rains, Roads and Rocks courtesy of Sonny SB. Virtus, Jr.

Oh well, more places to go in the future. I’ve heard of other places we can still go to, hopefully with some pieces of artifacts and history next time. There isn’t much extensive information in the net or anywhere else regarding other possible destinations in Bicol that can draw locals as well as foreigners to travel in here. Any recommendations regarding hotspots (how to get there, who can be contacted, what food should we try, and so on) are very much welcome. Isn’t it about time to know more about our own?

 

1 comment: